Saturday, March 13, 2010

Getting Lost in a Good Book


Since I've been teaching, I have missed out on one of my favorite interests-- sitting down and getting lost in a good book. I have made a goal to read at least 10 books during the summer. To accomplish this, I want to make a list, and pick 10 from it that appeal to me most. So, who can help get me started? Have you read any good books lately that I could add to my list? Keep in mind that I don't like bad language and immorality. (Yes, tragically, that narrows it down considerably!)

Here is a sampling of books that I have read and loved to give you an idea what I go for....
~The Magic of Ordinary Days
~The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
~My favorite Jane Austen books are Pride and Prejudice and Persuasion
~Crocodile on the Sandbank (Though I did start a sequel- it was the one where she was indulgent to a bratty son who wasn't very old- couldn't stand that so I put it down)
~The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio
~To Kill A Mockingbird
~Elizabeth Gaskell books like North and South, Ruth, and Mary Barton
~Anne of Green Gables series
~All Creatures Great and Small series (James Herriot)
~biographies

Well, I don't know how much luck I'll have with this because I don't have much of a following, but here goes.... Let the recommendations begin!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

One of my favorite books of all times is A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton Porter. It is a very old book and it has a lot of nature in it but the story is about a young girl that values education and integrity and succeeds against the odds. The last half of the book is a beautiful love story. The main character is "Elnora" which is the name of my aunt who died when she was 7 and is who I was named after (my real name is "Elnora"). So, it has always been meaningful to me.

Another favorite is Love Comes Softly. You've probably seen the movies but if you have never read the book--that is a must read. It is SO much better than the movies!!!

A book we read with our book club that I didn't think I would like because it had some hard scenes is "These is my words; the Diary of Sarah Agnes Prine, 1881-1901". It is a story set in the old west--arizona territories--and based loosely on the diary of an actual person. I actually ended up loving this book. Look it up and read the overview first to make sure it's one you'll be o.k. with. I'm very picky too and this turned my stomach in a couple of places but I still loved it.

I also enjoy reading some LDS novels. Favorites include "What the Doctor Ordered" by Sierra St. James (main character "Ellie"!) and books by Rachel Ann Nunes. They're not thought provoking just fun reads.

I also LOVE reading and we have an awesome book club in our ward. If I think of more that we've read that I've enjoyed I'll let you know. Good luck with your summer fun!

Brad's TLC said...

If you like the Anne of Green Gables, try "The Blue Castle" by L.M. Montgomery. It's about a young woman named Valancy who's just turned 29, and is given up as an old maid. She lives with a strict mother and strict family rules. Then something happens that makes her look at life in a new way and let's her true self show...and finds love in the process =)

Also, the Scarlet Pimpernail is a love and action book!! Have you ever seen the movie with Jane Seymour? It's different from the book, but is also fabulous!

-Tess

Shelli Sivert said...

Amy, have you ever read Holes? I really liked it. I also liked Princess Academy and, on a more serious note, The Hiding Place. Those are some of my favorites without the crap in them.

Shelli Sivert said...

P.S. I thought of another one: The Bronze Bow. (My guess is, you've read most of these.)

The King family said...

I just want to remember that Karen told me about a book she read that she thought I would like. It is called The Help.